- Education for children and teenagers in Malawi
- Serious, efficient and transparent work.
- Construction of a Teacher Training College in Mzambazi (Theodora van Rossum TTC)
- Construction and support of more than 40 schools, training for nearly 200 fully qualified teachers, and a school meals program for several thousand children!
Chancen durch Bildung e.V. („Opportunities through Education“) is a German NGO based in Munich. Founded in 1988, we have built or assisted in building more than 40 schools, supported dozens of students with scholarships, and the training of assistant teachers, besides other projects.
- CDB ’s new Teacher Training Center in Mzambazi, Mzimba District, Northern Malawi has started operation in March, second group in September!
- CdB expands Food Program in Mzimba (and Nkhata Bay) District to 32 Schools, further expansion planned.
- Cooperation with British-Malawian NGO Tiyeni to promote sustainable farming along with School Meals Program
- Support of Mount Hora Health Centre with a Clinician and a Midwife House.
In December 2019 we received the financial approval of our to date biggest project, a new Teacher Training Center in Mzambazi, Northern Malawi. Based on some existing buildings close to the Mzambazi Health Center, we have constructed a new central building and two hostels, as well as supporting facilities, which have allowed us the first intake of 140 students in March. Together with our partners in this project, the Diocese of Mzuzu, this was a quite ambitious goal, but we never lost our optimism.
Our first group of CdB Scholarship beneficiaries, in front of the new central building of the Theodora van Rossum Teacher Training College!
Up to 42 students will have the opportunity to have a 2/3 scholarship, aiming at students from families from the countryside – poor families without other professional income. These scholarships should improve income stratification, strengthen the ties between teacher and their original school, and lead to a higher resilience of families and communities against bad harvests due to climate change.
New Secondary School near Ekwendeni and School Meals Program
Most of our projects contain a School Meals component. In the area of the central project measure, we ask the communities to provide 3-6 acres to allow a self sustained school meal service at a later time. Together with our Partners from Tiyeni some parents of each school are trained in sustainable farming, providing higher yields in the long run, and reduce costs for fertilizers. Of course the relevant changes do not happen overnight, this is why these projects are designed to last 2-3 years, and we intend to keep in touch with all communities after that period, to be able to assist in case issues arise.
In October 2021 we intend to start with the newest project, a Secondary School northwest of Ekwendeni, which should start operation with the first classes in early 2022. Together with this, we will start the School Meals at about 18 more schools in our overall project region. Last not least it is planned to run a two weeks training for about 100 volunteer teachers, to prepare them for a post-Covid afternoon training, to compensate some of the negative effects linked to the long school closures of 2020 and 2021, due to the Covid-19 lockdown.
– Some months ago we were asked whether we would be able to support the establishment of a new Health Centre in Mzimba South. Having the Corona Crisis in mind, we decided to use the limited costs, and took over a midwife and a clinician house. They are supposed to open soon, in August 2020.
– Mawende: The community has been supported in the construction of four classrooms, and two more were already in progress in October, during our visit. Currently we plan to support the School with two teachers‘ houses. Since the cost estimates have reached us at the end of June, we are able to build the houses until the end of the june 2020.
– Kasuluwa was the first school in the recent years that had been built within one calendar year. It was extended with grades 5 to 6 recently, and we will support the school with the next school block this year, and also some material to allow the community to build a kitchen and a store room for the harvest of the school garden..
– Nambo: Nambo is a bigger school in the suburbs of Mzuzu. Last year the third school block could be taken into service, but the two biggest classes with up to 150 students still have lessons under a tree, or in a nearby church. With the help of Munich based Christian Liebig-Foundation, the last missing school block was built in 2017/18.
– Lukalazi: This cooperation with the Lukalazi Development Foundation has supported by the contribution of a head teacher’s house. The project has been started in 2017, the school is in service since September 2016, as a Junior Primary School with four classes. Currenly the rectors’s house is being built. Since 2018 the school has been extended to a Full Primary School, with water supply, kitchen and a library. It is one of the first schools ready for inclusion of disabled children.
Jour Fixe and Annual Meeting
Our Jour Fixe is held at the second Tuesday of the month, mostly in the „Weltwirtschaft“, Eine Welt-Haus, Schwanthaler Str. 80, close to the Underground stop „Theresienwiese“. Start time is 19:30. Due to Covid-19 we have switched to Online meetings for the time being.
To continue our construction works and Food Programs at the mentioned schools and others, your donation and support would help us a lot – to give children in Malawi a solid school education and a better future!
Donations Account Chancen durch Bildung e.V.
IBAN DE96 7015 0000 0021 2469 70
If you need a receipt, click here.
For each donation CHANCEN DURCH BILDUNG e.V. declares the obligation, to use it effectively and responsibly in our projects.
For more information please send an email to email@example.com.
Or call: 0049-89 – 2621 4015.